Animal Services FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Animal Services responds to Animal Emergencies and can be reached via 911.

For Animal-related Non-Emergencies, Animal Services may be reached Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm via 410-778-3648.

First, we recommend you speak with your neighbor about the issue. Some people are just not aware and often a conversation can solve the problem.  If you live within the limits of one of the county’s municipalities, there may be specific ordinance that apply as well. If this doesn’t work, Animal Services MAY be able to help.

ALL animal-to-human bites should be reported to the Kent County Health Department by calling 410-778-1361. If the offending animal is a dog, cat or livestock animal, the bite should also be reported to Animal Services by calling 410-708-5006. If medical assistance is needed please contact your nearest hospital.

Animal Services only handles domesticated animals, such as dogs, cats, and livestock. If you have a concern about wildlife, you can contact the Dept. of Natural Resources at 877-463-6497 or a Pest Control/Wildlife Management Service like Critter Gitter (410-708-1228) or Chestertown Wildlife Control (410-778-3315).

STOP! DO NOT touch or move them. Often mothers of feral or wild animals will leave their young for most of the day in order to go find food and keep predators away from the babies.

If you have already moved the babies or they appear injured, please contact the Dept. of Natural Resources at 877-463-6497.

Have you seen the cat before? Is it possible it belongs to a neighbor? Does it appear healthy?

Do not approach unknown animals. It is possible that the cats are stray/feral and are simply choosing to live in the area. Animal Services offers TNR services for cats in these circumstances. Please call 410-708-5006 to see if these cats are eligible.

Please send us a detailed description of your pet, including name, age, breed, and distinguishing marks, as well as pictures. Please also include the pet’s owner’s name, address, phone number and where the animal is missing from to

If your pet is not already at our shelter, we can share them to our social media channels. 

Trap-Neuter/Spay-Release is a humane way to limit the wild cat population in an area. Cats are humanely trapped and given vet care as well as altered to prevent reproducing before they are returned to where they were trapped. Many times, cats will have an “ear tip” to help identify which animals have been altered. You may have even seen a few in your area.

Cats are very capable survivors and many who would otherwise be unhappy in a shelter have been TNR’d to then continue to live outside. TNR has been shown to dramatically reduce the number of stray/feral cats as well as to prevent illness that can spread to other animals.

While it is legal for a dog to be kept outside 24/7, there are certain basic requirements that must be met. If you know of a dog and are concerned about its welfare, please contact Animal Services and an officer will be glad to do a welfare check to make sure the dog has everything it needs and is being taken care of.

Kent County does NOT have a leash ordinance. If a dog is not on a leash, it must be kept under reasonable control (following commands) and must not be causing a nuisance problem when off of the owner’s property. If a dog fails to obey commands and is deemed a nuisance, you can contact Animal Control at 410-708-5006.